Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

::don't:panic::

I have written many posts the last few weeks that I told myself I would share but never did because of how busy and chaotic I feel like my life is right now. I say it that way because it really isn't as busy as some people that I know...
Although at the end of the day - every day - I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to do half of the things I want to do. 
Blogging being one of them.
But I know that if I don't start making changes then things will remain the same and honestly - I have no right to complain about anything if I perpetuate this cycle of monotony in my life.
Therefore, I wanted to touch upon a subject - something a bit different for this blog that hasn't even taken off yet - that many people suffer from...very often silently - and many times are misunderstood. 
I currently suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I do not take any medication for anything that I am dealing with right now and that is my decision. I feel like a lot of times it is manageable....actually that is a lie. I am prescribed a benzodiazepene (Ativan, aka Lorazepam) which I am to take on an "as-needed" basis. But I *rarely* take it...I can't remember the last time that I did take it, but the mere thought of it being there for me "just in case" - settles my anxiety as if there were a protective barrier surrounding me.

What compelled me to write this post is that I was very near a full blown panic attack yesterday. I had gone out for a short walk at work and a random thought popped into my head: "my, I'm a bit far from work...actually, I can't see the building" and THAT didn't help...I realized then that I never grabbed my pills (I usually carry them around everywhere I go - just in case). I was going to turn around and go back but thought that I wouldn't let this anxiety win so I continued around the huge blog. Well, it only got worse where I very nearly thought I was going to drop dead/pass out on the side of this industrial road. I felt like bursting into tears! I felt so helpless and like I wasn't in control.
My train of thought went like this - completely erratic and a mile a minute: 
"Omg. I am so far from work, I can't see the building. What if I pass out? What if I make a fool of myself. Omg. I can't breathe. What if I die here on the side of the road? Will anyone help me? Will anyone notice? I feel like I'm going crazy. What's wrong with me? What is this chest pain. Omg. I can't feel my legs. I'm going to collapse."

Yea...pretty intense for a little short walk on my lunch. 
And how completely irrational.

But...I continued walking. I had to silence these thoughts - the anxiety tried obstinately to continue the negative thought train but I tried hard to ignore it. 
As soon as I saw my work building though, the anxiety subsided considerably. How bizarre...how scary!

I just wanted to share because I KNOW how unpredictable, random, scary, confusing and frustrating this illness is!! Very often it'll happen out of nowhere and be triggered by something so minute and arbitrary. 
I know we feel helpless in situations like this but we aren't...so I wanted to share some top tips that have helped me in the past with this (oftentimes debilitating to some) illness. 


1. Breathe Deeeeeply. 
Short and shallow breathing (breathing through your chest) oftentimes can trigger a panic attack - as it feels like you basically "can't catch your breathe" - this will often lead to chest pains as well. These two are probably the most common symptoms of a panic attack. Therefore, it is very important to learn how to breathe through your belly. This has helped me immensely - believe it or not, it DOES help and keeps my anxiety in check when I become conscious of breathing diaphragmatically. It forces myself and my body to slooooow down. And breathe deep. 


2. Do Your Worst.
Most of the time, this way of thinking helps stop my panic attacks dead in it's tracks...I'll talk to myself (in my head, obviously, lol) saying "okay, whatever, do your worst...what's the worst that can happen? I know it'll pass eventually - we can either do this the easy way or the hard way - what's it going to be? Do your worst!!!".
Usually, when I am at this point, it can't get any worse. And it's physiologically impossible for it TO get worse, so the anxiety begins to subside.


3. Learn How Your Parasympathetic and Sympathetic Nervous System Works.
I feel like in a way, this can help people avoid a lot of their attacks because they have a working knowledge of how their body reacts physiologically to the increase in adrenaline.
I won't explain it all here...or this post would be sooo long - so instead, check it out here: http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/anxiety/panic-attack1.htm.


4. Adopt A Mantra.
A lot of the time people will adopt a mantra or repeat a specific word to avoid "freaking out" for lack of a better phrase. For me, I have a few safe words...which I won't share, because to me it's as if these specific words have a 'magical' power, if you will, that are for me and me only.
But one mantra that is use by many - that works - and is very true in many aspects is that "you're exactly where you're supposed to be".


5. Everything Is Going To Be OK.
It's OK! You're OK! Nothing is happening! Nothing serious anyways...it's just your body's response to FEAR.
False.
Evidence.
Appearing.
Real.
You're scared....it's not like anything is actually happening to you - you're not going to drop dead or get attacked by a lion...
And at the same time, we gotta take it as it comes. So don't dwell on the past, or worry about the future because this is the perfect "breeding ground" for an anxiety attack.
Focus on the present moment, be present yourself and remember, you're exactly where you're supposed to be.


I also think a good support system is key here as well - it's very difficult to have to go through something like this when you feel so alone and that people don't "get" you. So make sure you have that in place or even consider speaking with a counselor.

So those are some of my tips - if you suffer from the same, what are a few things that help YOU get through those rough moments?
Please share in the comments below! :)



-S.*

No comments:

Post a Comment